Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

justme88005
Returning Member

I Need Help W/ 2017 Transcript! Refund?

Hey all, just found this forum, looks to be pretty helpful, well at least I hope so in my case :). 

And thanks for all the answer(s) ahead of time!

I just came to the USA in 2016, and I was told I didn't have to file taxes unless I make over a certain amount, I am self employed and operate my own cleaning service, until 2020 I never filed taxes before, I used a CPA to file my 2017-2020, and then I filed from 2021 to current year. I talked to IRS about 3 weeks ago and they said everything looks good and I am all caught-up, when I had them on phone I forgot to ask about my 2017 return/refund. my transcript if I am reading correctly says I was due/is due a refund? Is this correct based on photo? If so I would I go about claiming it? my 2017 transcript just updated about a month ago.

IS THERE SOMEONE I NEED TO CALL OR WILL IT (CREDIT) BE APPLIED TO THIS YEAR (2022) TAXES WHEN I FILE AND WILL I GET IT BACK?

pOSt.png

What does all of this mean? I never filed amended return? And does CODE 766 even mean anything anymore?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
justme88005
Returning Member

HopeS
Expert Alumni

Code 766 means that you have a credit on your account, which might be the result of a refund, an overpayment from a previous year, or a credit from the current year's return. Your transcript shows an amended return was filed on 05/21/2021.

The IRS allows only 3 years for you to file a return if you are due a refund for withholding or estimated taxes. This same rule applies to a right to claim tax credits such as Earned Income Credits. Therefore, it you did not file a return for 2017 it is too late to file any refund.

You can call the IRS at 1800-829-1040 to discuss your transcript. They are open 7AM - 7PM.  See additional information in the link below:

Filing Past Due Tax Returns

@justme88005 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
justme88005
Returning Member

What is a credit on my account?

justme88005
Returning Member

I filed my 2017 return on May 15, 2021, I had it postdated as well.

HopeS
Expert Alumni

Your transcripts show Earned Income Credit of $4,990 that you would have gotten if you filed your 2017 return.  This credit would have reduced your Federal Tax liability if you owe, dollar for dollar.

Review your transcript closely and called the IRS regarding the amended return that is shown if you did not file one.  

EIC

@justme88005 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies