Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I nearly completed 2023 taxes w/ T-Tax desktop in Mar 2024; had to amend 2022 in Mar 2024; want to update some 2022 items in T-Tax 2023

I had to amend 2022 taxes due to erroneously taking a Sec 179A deduction in March 2024.  Unfortunately, I was basically finished with my 2023 taxes using Desktop Premier version of TTax.  So amending was completed using 2022 T-Tax desktop - which must be printed and filed.  I prefer to not start over with 2023 TurboTax - and import the amended 2022 tax return because I would have to re-enter everything.

Is there a way to alter the appropriate items for 2022 tax return within TurboTax Desktop Premier 2023?  Items to change are: AGI, Taxable Income, Tax Liability.    Of course, I can delete the asset (for which I tried to take the Sec 179A deduction) in T-Tax 2023 without a problem - since on my amended form I simply took the "bonus depreciation" since it was less than $2,500.   

Lastly:  my E-Filed forms for 2023 tax year will undoubtedly be processed BEFORE the IRS processes the amended 2022 return (which will be submitted within the next few days <say, 3/20/24>).   Is there a way to notify the IRS within my 2023 E-Filing that 2022 is in the process of being amended?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

I nearly completed 2023 taxes w/ T-Tax desktop in Mar 2024; had to amend 2022 in Mar 2024; want to update some 2022 items in T-Tax 2023

I think I figured out part of the answer to my own question:  to make the changes in 2023 TurboTax Premier Desktop for items amended after updating 2022 tax return, one must either:

a) Start over on the 2023 tax return by importing the AMENDED 2022 return.  I chose not to do this due to having to re-enter everything, as I was basically finished with 2023 taxes when I realized I needed to amend 2022.

OR

b) go into FORMS VIEW and locate every instance of items which were amended in 2022 (e.g., total income; AGI; tax liability; expenses on property where depreciation was corrected; etc.).   This was a pretty painstaking process - and it required reviewing line items below the item which changed.   Interestingly, sometimes Turbotax recalculated items downstream; sometimes, I had to manually change them.

For every item I updated in TTax 2023 for 2022 historical items, I used the "Add Supporting" detail to explain to IRS exactly what the before/after looked like.   Hopefully, this also answers my own question of:  How do I tell IRS when I E-File 2023 of the items that were amended for 2022 in 2024!   

I think I'll still be stuck with the tax authorities processing my E-Filed 2023 tax return before they complete the processing of my paper-filed 2022 amended return.  But, I hope with the explanations I added to 2023 return, this will satisfy them.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies