turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I made non-deductible IRA contribution from 2021 but TurboTax never generate form 8606

Hi,

I just found out what is 8606 form used for.

And I've used Turbotax for 10 years and from 2021 to 2023, I had to use non-deductible IRA contributions because of my income limit.

But, when I checked the previous tax return that TurboTax generated, it did not have form 8606.

Whoever fails this, 

Do you know how to revise or put the previous cost basis for non-deductible IRA contributions?

Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

I made non-deductible IRA contribution from 2021 but TurboTax never generate form 8606

If you made nondeductible traditional IRA contributions but didn't include Form 8606 on your 2021 and 2022 tax returns then you can file the 2021 Form 8606 and the 2022 Form 8606 by itself and mail them to your designated IRS office. Be sure to include your address on page 1 of the form and your signature and the date on page 2 of the form. Please see Instructions for Form 8606, Nondeductible IRAs for details.

Technically you can be fined $50 for failing to file the form on time, but the penalty can be waived if you have reasonable cause. Please see Relief for Reasonable Cause for additional information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies