Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

vfermon

I made a duplicate payment on my state taxes. What’s the fastest way to have the overpayment returned to me?

After filing with TurboTax I couldn’t find any confirmation that my state taxes would be paid through TurboTax so I sent a check to the state. A week later a second payment was taken through TurboTax. How do I receive a return of the overpayment?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I made a duplicate payment on my state taxes. What’s the fastest way to have the overpayment returned to me?

Usually the feds or state will recognise the overpayment and refund it automatically in a couple of weeks ... otherwise you will need to contact your state to see what you need to do to get the excess payment returned.

I did the same thing for the same reason.

Bob232

So did I....filing electronically and then sending a paper check to them.

Although it seems like common sense that since I filed electronically last year and got a refund directly deposited that this year's payment would get debited directly from the same account.

I don't think turbotax made it clear that if I filed electronically in the prior year that I should not send a paper check if I owe money.

So I could stop the check but what if they try to process it?

Could I get a penalty for sending them a stopped check?

So hopefully they'll refund it as an overpayment, or I could claim it as an overpayment next year.

I hope they don't consider it a donation! 😕

BillM223
Expert Alumni

As Critter said above, the state is likely to refund the excess...but you can call them to be sure.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies