Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I made $119 being self-employed now I receive SSI benefits every month my question is do I put down my total payment for SSI last year also? And also am I able to clean my daughter who is only four ye

Ok
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DianeW
Expert Alumni

I made $119 being self-employed now I receive SSI benefits every month my question is do I put down my total payment for SSI last year also? And also am I able to clean my daughter who is only four ye

No, you do not claim SSI payments on your tax return.  It's important to be sure they are SSI or SSA.  Use the information below to make your determination.

As far as your daughter is concerned, if she is not a qualifying child of another person, and your daughter did not provide more than half of her own support from sources such as social security, or state assistance then you can claim your daughter on your tax return.  Child support payments received are considered to be provided by the custodial parent.  For tax purposes the custodial parent is the parent the child lives with for more than half the year.

Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is a United States government program that provides stipends to low-income people who are either aged 65 or older, blind, or disabled. Although administered by the Social Security Administration, SSI is funded from the U.S. Treasury general funds, not the Social Security trust fund. This income is not taxable or reportable on the income tax return.

If you receive Social Security you should have received a document, if not and you need a replacement SSA-1099 for 2017,  in order to file a tax return, you can request it online by using the hyperlink here "How Can I get a Form SSA-1099?".  If you need to set up an account you can use the instructions below to do that or contact the Social Security Administration (SSA).

If you currently live in the United States and you need a replacement form SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S, we have a new way for you to get an instant replacement quickly and easily beginning February 1st by:

• Using your online my Social Security account. If you don’t already have an account, you can create one online. Go to Sign In or Create an Account. Once you are logged in to your account, select the "Replacement Documents" tab;

• Calling us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.; or

• Contacting your local Social Security office.
  • If you live outside of the United States and you need a replacement form SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S, please contact your nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

To record your self employment income follow the steps shown below.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4801198

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies