An IRS extension gives you until October 16 to file, but it doesn't give you until October to pay your taxes. Those are still due by midnight, April 18.
(Expecting a refund? You may not need an extension. Read more here.)
Below are 5 different ways to file your IRS extension (click or tap here for info about state extensions).
- Make a payment to the IRS and select Form 4868 as the payment type.
- Search for extend inside your TurboTax program, then click or tap the "Jump to" link.
- Sign in at TurboTax.com, then select Easy Extension from the MyTurboTax menu (mobile devices: tap the upper-left corner to access this menu).
- Sign in at the Easy Extension website to e-file your extension.
- Download and print Form 4868, fill it out, and mail it before midnight April 18. Payment and mailing instructions are on pages 3 and 4 of your printout.