Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

fdr2017

My brother and his spouse both passed this year. How do I file taxes for both?

My brother died in November and his wife passed in December of 2017.  How do I file for them.  Should I file individually or married?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

My brother and his spouse both passed this year. How do I file taxes for both?

I'm sorry for your loss.  If you are responsible for filing their income tax returns, you can file the way they ordinarily would have. In the past, if they filed joint returns, you can file a joint return.

When someone dies, the person responsible for the estate is the one responsible for filing the final tax return, if one is due. That person can be the administrator or the executor of the estate, or if there isn't one, it can simply be a survivor (you). 

You'd file the return(s) the same way as if they were alive, but indicate that they are deceased and the dates of death. If there is a refund due you would file a  Form 1310, Statement of Person Claiming Refund Due a Deceased Taxpayer with the return.

TurboTax has a complete discussion of how to handle a deceased person’s return here.

Here is a link to information from the IRS concerning filing a final tax return for a deceased person.

If you file separate returns for each of them, your brother would be filing as Married, Filing Separately, and his spouse would file as Single, because she would be considered Single at the end of the year. It's unlikely that this filing status would be beneficial.

[Edit 02/14/18 8:26 AM]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies