Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

wanderinglight
Returning Member

I'm self employed, with my own mug and t-shirt making business. How do I estimate my labor costs that are incurred when making my own products?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
MichaelDC

I'm self employed, with my own mug and t-shirt making business. How do I estimate my labor costs that are incurred when making my own products?

You don't have to. Your labor costs as the owner and sole proprietor of the business will be a function of your business profit. From there, you will pay taxes and Self-Employment taxes on those profits.

Unless you have other employees, there is nothing to enter for labor costs or salaries.

If you have additional questions or details regarding this, please feel free to post in the comments for further clarification.

You never get a tax deduction for the value of your own labor.  Your labor is what makes the profit -- you sell the product for more than the cost of the raw materials because your labor adds value.   If you pay someone else for labor, that is a cost.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies