Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mr32826

I'm self-employed and have an adjusted income of $22,700. Why do I owe $3900 in taxes? Used 12,200 standard deduction.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I'm self-employed and have an adjusted income of $22,700. Why do I owe $3900 in taxes? Used 12,200 standard deduction.

That sounds high. Federal taxes below 10K income is 10% which should be around $1000. Check your return.

JulieS
Expert Alumni

If all of your income is from self-employment, the reason it is so high may be the self-employment tax. 

Your net profit from your self-employment is subject to 15.3% self-employment tax. That is separate from your regular tax. It is the replacement for Social Security and Medicare tax. 

I calculated the SE tax on $22,700 and it came to $3,207. You will find the amount of your SE tax on line 4, of Schedule 2.

Self-employed workers have several options to reduce their tax burden. 

Qualified Business Income (QBI) deduction. This is a 20% deduction of your net profit from business activities. It appears on line 10 of Form 1040.

Self-employed health insurance deduction. If you pay for health insurance, you can get up to 100% deduction for the amount you pay.

Half of SE tax paid is deducted, so you are not paying tax on your tax. This is done automatically by TurboTax.

You have more options for retirement savings.

Click here to learn more about what you can deduct.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies