Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

mtnerd
Returning Member

Turbotax Premier 2018 crashes when I ask it to save my file. The file size is just under 5 mb.

I would consider going with H&R Block next year but I'll probably be hiring a CPA as I will be setting up an LLC for my small business.  H&R Block has comparable high reviews.

Let's see if this gets edited out!

Turbotax Premier 2018 crashes when I ask it to save my file. The file size is just under 5 mb.

I tried again after the last update a couple of days ago. Then (while multi-tasking 😉 I made one change and tried Save and Save As no less than fifteen times to three different hard drives (2 of them external) and it absolutely consistently gave me that same old error. Once or twice it recovered my file, seemingly successfully, but the change was not preserved. Now I only open Turbotax to see if there is a new update, at which point I try again, hoping someday I will get a different result, wondering how many repetitions it will take to convince me that I am truly insane.
mtnerd
Returning Member

Beware of the medical section.  The software has crashed on me no less than a dozen times while trying to get through that section.  I'm saving after each page and I'm still not through the mess!!  
mtnerd
Returning Member

SOLUTION!!  I finally got fed up after 20+ crashes on the medical section.  CALL turbotax support.  They were very helpful.  Sent me a link to download the program.  Walked me through uninstalling by Costco purchased version and reinstalled download version.  The reinstalled software read the file with the work I had saved and everything appears to be correct.  Onward!!  (Want to get the taxes done today!!)  

Hope this works for all your fellow TT crash sufferers.  This was a mess!  

And if this works for you, you might want to post the solution on your favorite social media.  I'm sure we aren't the only TT users who have been afflicted.  

They sent me a new file also, but it still crashed as it did before.
mtnerd
Returning Member

That's sad news.  Mine is still working well.  It's crashed once since I got the new version.  A big improvement.  I hope TT finds a solution for you soon!!  
Jeff19
Returning Member

I'm on windows 10 and it crashes every time I try to print.  I've spent 2 hours so far with support and they're not sure what to do.
ggavriel

Limit for 1099 import is 2000 transactions. Mine had 1758 and crashes. Can't save or print PDFs. Total size is 52MBs. E-file for state fails (transmission error) yet the Fed e-file went through. This software as a total failure.

That is about what happened to me, I could not save or print most times without getting errors or crashing. After 2 days on the phone they said to try to Efile  the Fed which transmitted and then crashed. I am not sure if the file is good or not.
Jeff19
Returning Member

My TurboTax would crash each time it tried to submit, and I finally got a notice it was submitted via email — but turbotax never said it was.  
MEP50

Random crashes with TT premier are making me think I should change to a different tax software next year. We pay too much for this software for this kind of service!

TurboTax Desktop Crash with error 567809 trying to save after importing tax data

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
gsjohnson

I had similar problems with TT crashing anytime I tried to save, and half the time I entered data.  I read on another site that somebody had tried not maximizing the window when the program opened, and he ran it without problems.

I tried that, and was able to finish everything without crashing every two minutes like before.   I simply ran the program in the original window that opened.

Having said that, I now have no faith in this piece of crap program anymore.   Like others have said, their tech support is invisible and worthless.   They obviously have some serious problems with this program, and I may change next year to something else.  (time to try HR Block?)

rossnme1

That works for me also!
ken91773

I had the same issue but I narrowed it down to one program that was the culprit...Spybot Antivirus. It installs 3 services in your startup config. Disable all or uninstall the program. If you don't have Spybot and want to troubleshoot yourself, run msconfig, go to the services tab and uncheck any sketchy programs and see if that makes a difference.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies