I'm having a hard time understanding the question: Had you earned Four Years of credit before 2016? I graduated with my BS in 2016. So would I say yes or no?

Coleen3

That sounds like a yes. The American Opportunity Credit is allowed for four years and then you may be eligible for the Lifetime Learning Credit.

Differences between the American opportunity and lifetime learning credits.

There are several differences between these two credits. For example, you can claim the American opportunity credit based on the same student's expenses for no more than 4 tax years, which includes any tax years you claimed the Hope scholarship credit for that student. However, there is no limit on the number of years for which you can claim a lifetime learning credit based on the same student's expenses. The differences between these credits are shown in Appendix B near the end of this publication.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p970.pdf

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing