Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm file my own taxes this yr and was told I get a 3,000.00 tax break for being a Veteran in NJ where do I add that in my taxes?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

I'm file my own taxes this yr and was told I get a 3,000.00 tax break for being a Veteran in NJ where do I add that in my taxes?

Many veterans qualify for an additional exemption of $3,000 on their New Jersey Income Tax for income earned in 2017 and beyond. This exemption does not apply to income earned in 2016 or earlier. If you are a military veteran, you are eligible for this exemption if you were honorably discharged.

To indicate this in your return, please follow these steps:

1. Go into your NJ return
  2. On the screen, You've Finished Your New Jersey Return, click on Update next to General Info [Screenshot #1]
  3. Continue to the screen Less Common  Filing Situations.
  4. Mark the box Military Veterans and click Continue.  [Screenshot #2]
  5. On the next screen, Exemption for Military Veterans, mark the box to indicate you are a military veteran and click Continue.   [Screenshot #3]

You must provide official documentation showing that you were honorably discharged or released under honorable circumstances from active duty the first time you claim the exemption(s).  For instructions, please go to the NJ website: Income Tax Exemption for Veterans

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies