turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kimc1972

I'm considering not claiming my 21 yr old college student as a dependent any longer. Not sure what the ramifications would be to my taxes / refund though.

I contribute very little to her now, and I think she'd get more student financial aid if I ceased to claim her. Any thoughts or information on this?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I'm considering not claiming my 21 yr old college student as a dependent any longer. Not sure what the ramifications would be to my taxes / refund though.

She cannot claim herself if you *can* claim yer even if you do not claim her - the tax law does not permit that.

In fact there are special questions just for that in the personal information section: 1) CAN you be claimed as a dependent by another taxpayer?; and 2) Were (or will you be) claimed by that taxpayer?

If #1 is yes then the student cannot claim them self.

If #1 is yes and #2 is no, then the student still cannot claim them self but there are certain educational credits normally claimed by the parent that the student can claim. That is the only difference.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
kimc1972

Got it! Thank you much for the response. 🙂

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies