Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

I'm a pastor with a w-2 how do i report that?

I know I need to pay self employment tax on what i earned, but how do I report that as well as my housing allowance
1 Reply
Opus 17
Level 15

I'm a pastor with a w-2 how do i report that?

Pastors are considered self-employed for certain tax purposes but are usually common law employees for most other purposes and will recieve a W-2.  Typically your W-2 should have boxes 3-6 blank.  If not, turbotax won't handle your tax correctly and you may need to make manual adjustments.  After entering the W-2, check the box for "Religious employment" on the page of special circumstances, and answer the following questions.  You will be given a place to enter the housing allowance (or fair market rental value of a parsonage) and your qualified expenses.  This will calculate the self-employment tax.

*Answers are correct to the best of my ability at the time of posting but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings