Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sub_way1

I’m 17 years old full time student,, I made 17,000.00 but some how had 99 defendants and now I owe a thousand dollars between state and federal....... my questions are 1. Do I have to file this y

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I’m 17 years old full time student,, I made 17,000.00 but some how had 99 defendants and now I owe a thousand dollars between state and federal....... my questions are 1. Do I have to file this y

Yes, you are above the filing requirements for Federal.  You did not tell us what state.

Are you a dependent on some one elses tax return?

Even if you're a dependent, you'll generally need to file your own 2017 tax return if:

• Your earned income (money you made by working) exceeds $6,350, or
  • Your unearned income (interest, dividends, capital gains, etc.) exceeds $1,050, or
  • Your business or self-employment net income (gross minus expenses) is at least $400, or
  • Your gross income (earned plus unearned) exceeds the larger of $1,050 or your earned income (up to $6,000) plus 
  • $350.

If you are not a dependent and are single, you have to file a return if you have income over $10.400.

See IRS Pub 501  for more information.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Yes, you are above the filing requirements for Federal.  You did not tell us what state.

Are you a dependent on some one elses tax return?

Even if you're a dependent, you'll generally need to file your own 2017 tax return if:

• Your earned income (money you made by working) exceeds $6,350, or
  • Your unearned income (interest, dividends, capital gains, etc.) exceeds $1,050, or
  • Your business or self-employment net income (gross minus expenses) is at least $400, or
  • Your gross income (earned plus unearned) exceeds the larger of $1,050 or your earned income (up to $6,000) plus 
  • $350.

If you are not a dependent and are single, you have to file a return if you have income over $10.400.

See IRS Pub 501  for more information.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies