sunless07652

I lost my healthcare after being laid off in 2016. I applied for Medicare but was not given any options for any plan. Do I qualify for the tax penalty exemption?

I applied for Medicare but the only letter I got back was that I qualified for Medicare.  There were no further instructions on what to do, such as how to sign up for a plan.  Is there a way to claim exemption from the tax penalty?

TeresaM

Here is a link to a Marketplace tool with more information. If you qualify for a health coverage exemption you may have all or part of the penalty waived.  Turbo tax will walk you through questions about possible exemptions and ask if you have applied for one, when you click on Health Insurance, at the top.

click here to go to the healthcare.gov exemption tool