Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bale11
Returning Member

I live in MA and work in RI/MA for the same employer, TT does not let me to e-file MA state tax?

So I live in MA but work in both MA and RI for the same employer. My employer send me a W-2 with two copies, each with box 16 and 17 for wage in that state respectively. However, when I file my tax and do the review, I got this error message:

reason for e-file ineligibility: resident returns with other state source income and only reporting massachusetts source income from form W-2 box 16

Some suggested I should continue submitting, while others said I need to file manually or amend my W-2. Wonder what will be the best way to go?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AmyC
Expert Alumni

I live in MA and work in RI/MA for the same employer, TT does not let me to e-file MA state tax?

Each state got a copy of your w2. You need to make entries to reflect reality in the program. Follow these steps:

1. Go back to federal income 
  2. Locate your w2
  3. Edit
  4. Go to the state entry area
  5. Verify the RI amount is correctly entered
  6. MA should be the remainder of the money  - since MA is your resident state, all income is automatically taxed to MA.

For example: Earn $100k with $60k in RI. Enter $60k RI and $40K for MA.  This will correct your error regarding income reporting.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies