• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
photodana

I let my ex husband claim our daughter on his taxes. We live together but are not remarried. I thought I could still claim her as EIC/Child Care Credit Is this true?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Opus 17
Level 15

I let my ex husband claim our daughter on his taxes. We live together but are not remarried. I thought I could still claim her as EIC/Child Care Credit Is this true?

No.  If you are living together with the other parent, then one parent claims all the tax benefits of a dependent (exemption, child tax credit, head of household status, and EIC) and the other parent can't claim anything.  This applies for unmarried couples as well as divorced couples who still live in the same household.  The provision to "split" the benefits only applies when the parents live apart and share custody, and the child lives in two different homes during the year.

*Answers are correct to the best of my ability at the time of posting but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Opus 17
Level 15

No.  If you are living together with the other parent, then one parent claims all the tax benefits of a dependent (exemption, child tax credit, head of household status, and EIC) and the other parent can't claim anything.  This applies for unmarried couples as well as divorced couples who still live in the same household.  The provision to "split" the benefits only applies when the parents live apart and share custody, and the child lives in two different homes during the year.

*Answers are correct to the best of my ability at the time of posting but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v