Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

photodana

I let my ex husband claim our daughter on his taxes. We live together but are not remarried. I thought I could still claim her as EIC/Child Care Credit Is this true?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I let my ex husband claim our daughter on his taxes. We live together but are not remarried. I thought I could still claim her as EIC/Child Care Credit Is this true?

No.  If you are living together with the other parent, then one parent claims all the tax benefits of a dependent (exemption, child tax credit, head of household status, and EIC) and the other parent can't claim anything.  This applies for unmarried couples as well as divorced couples who still live in the same household.  The provision to "split" the benefits only applies when the parents live apart and share custody, and the child lives in two different homes during the year.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

No.  If you are living together with the other parent, then one parent claims all the tax benefits of a dependent (exemption, child tax credit, head of household status, and EIC) and the other parent can't claim anything.  This applies for unmarried couples as well as divorced couples who still live in the same household.  The provision to "split" the benefits only applies when the parents live apart and share custody, and the child lives in two different homes during the year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies