turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I keep getting a message which says "Check this entry: Dependent's SSI should not be the same SSI of the qualifying child". I have twins, what should I do?

I deleted the first dependent info, but that completely deleted the first twin from my return. Then tried to do the same thing with the other twin and the same thing happened.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

I keep getting a message which says "Check this entry: Dependent's SSI should not be the same SSI of the qualifying child". I have twins, what should I do?

Is there any chance that you also entered your child as the qualifying person for the head of household deduction?  When you are entering your dependent you don't need to enter anyone as a qualifying person for the head of household deduction because your dependent will be that qualifying person.

@l_charm95 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

I'm not sure why your twins are being deleted.  But they should definitely have different social security numbers.  Make certain that when you are entering them both that you are entering their social security numbers correctly.

@l_charm95 

Hi Robert, Thanks. I verified that I entered each correctly however, I’m getting the same message.

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

Is there any chance that you also entered your child as the qualifying person for the head of household deduction?  When you are entering your dependent you don't need to enter anyone as a qualifying person for the head of household deduction because your dependent will be that qualifying person.

@l_charm95 

Shelene40

I was having the same problem with this error. It is a problem with the software. It had nothing to do with my dependents. Go look at all of your info, and make sure that if there is a blank that you put a zero in there… Mine was because of my HSA my 1099 – SA  form has several fields blank. You cannot leave them blank. You have to type in zeros.. totally fixed the problem for me , hope this helps. I know how frustrating it is

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies