Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

xmattwm9

I inherited my parent's home in 2014. My brother and I own it 50/50. Do I have to file this as owning a home? It was completely paid off, never paid mortage.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I inherited my parent's home in 2014. My brother and I own it 50/50. Do I have to file this as owning a home? It was completely paid off, never paid mortage.

You are never required to claim deductions on the ownership of a house.  In your case, the only difference it would make would be any real estate taxes you pay on the house.

Those would only affect your return if you itemize your deductions. If your deduction amounts are less than your standard deduction, TurboTax would automatically claim the standard deduction for you.

Please look at the link below to determine what your standard deduction would be for your filing status.

https://www.irs.com/articles/2016-federal-tax-rates-personal-exemptions-and-standard-deductions  

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You are never required to claim deductions on the ownership of a house.  In your case, the only difference it would make would be any real estate taxes you pay on the house.

Those would only affect your return if you itemize your deductions. If your deduction amounts are less than your standard deduction, TurboTax would automatically claim the standard deduction for you.

Please look at the link below to determine what your standard deduction would be for your filing status.

https://www.irs.com/articles/2016-federal-tax-rates-personal-exemptions-and-standard-deductions  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies