Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rbink99

I inherited a house (TOD deed from a sibling). I spent approx $30k for repairs etc. I netted 190k after mortgages paid. Do I have to pay tax on this gain?

Sale price $360k. Appraisal came in at value   
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I inherited a house (TOD deed from a sibling). I spent approx $30k for repairs etc. I netted 190k after mortgages paid. Do I have to pay tax on this gain?

Subtract your basis from the sales price (less selling expenses) and do not factor the mortgage payoff into the calculation.

Your basis should be the fair market value on the date of death.

I am sorry for your loss.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You said "I spent approx $30k for repairs etc." Repairs do not affect the amount of your gain from the sale. What is the "etc."?

The appraisal at the time of the sale was probably for the purchaser's mortgage. That appraisal does not affect the amount of your gain. You have to determine the fair market value on the date of your sibling's death. You may have to hire a professional appraiser to give you a retroactive appraisal. An estimate of value from a real estate agent is not an appraisal. Also, you cannot use the assessed value for real estate tax as the fair market value.

If you sold the house within a couple of months after your sibling died, you could assume that the fair market value did not change significantly, so the amount you sold it for was equal to the fair market value on the date of death.

You have to report the sale on your tax return for the year of the sale, and the gain will be included in your income. Whether you actually have to pay any tax on the gain will depend on your filing status and on the amount of your other income, because gain on the sale of inherited property is treated as long-term gain, no matter how long you actually owned the house.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies