Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

roubeer97

I have worked for the same home care agency 6 years & paid by 1099. Why do I have to file the 1099 under self employed, when I'm not self employed?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelMc

I have worked for the same home care agency 6 years & paid by 1099. Why do I have to file the 1099 under self employed, when I'm not self employed?

I cannot address your prior year tax returns except to say that this has remained constant for many years:

If you sold goods or performed services and received payments, but were not considered an employee and did not receive a Form W-2, you are self-employed for tax purposes. Your income, and any related business expenses, such as vehicle expense, will be reported on Schedule C of your tax return.

Your income, from Form 1099-MISC, should be reported both for income tax purposes and, if your net self-employment income exceeds $400, you must pay self-employment tax (the employer's and employee's share of Social Security and Medicare taxes) on that income.

To report income for which you received a Form 1099-MISC in TurboTax Deluxe or Premier:

Select the Federal Taxes tab, then Wages & Income.

Click Continue, then select I'll choose what I work on;

Scroll down and select 1099-MISC and Other Common Income;

Select Income from Form 1099-MISC;

Select Add a 1099-MISC;

Enter all information and click Continue;

Enter reason for this 1099-MISC and click Continue;

Answer the questions on the following screens.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MichaelMc

I cannot address your prior year tax returns except to say that this has remained constant for many years:

If you sold goods or performed services and received payments, but were not considered an employee and did not receive a Form W-2, you are self-employed for tax purposes. Your income, and any related business expenses, such as vehicle expense, will be reported on Schedule C of your tax return.

Your income, from Form 1099-MISC, should be reported both for income tax purposes and, if your net self-employment income exceeds $400, you must pay self-employment tax (the employer's and employee's share of Social Security and Medicare taxes) on that income.

To report income for which you received a Form 1099-MISC in TurboTax Deluxe or Premier:

Select the Federal Taxes tab, then Wages & Income.

Click Continue, then select I'll choose what I work on;

Scroll down and select 1099-MISC and Other Common Income;

Select Income from Form 1099-MISC;

Select Add a 1099-MISC;

Enter all information and click Continue;

Enter reason for this 1099-MISC and click Continue;

Answer the questions on the following screens.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies