Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Mills4

I have to file a 2021 state return only do I have to buy the whole software package that includeds federal

I filed a federal return and state return for Arkansas the state I worked in need to file for Louisiana my residential state
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I have to file a 2021 state return only do I have to buy the whole software package that includeds federal

You can’t buy a state only program. 

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Yes, you have to buy the federal software. The state software does not run by itself. It's an add-on to the federal program.

Furthermore, the state tax return is based on the federal return. If you did not file your federal tax return with TurboTax you will have to recreate it before you can start the state tax return.

In addition, you will need both state programs because there is an interaction between the two states. You will get a credit on your Louisiana return for part or all of the tax you paid to Arkansas. So you also need the Arkansas return in order for the Louisiana software to calculate the credit.

If you have a .tax2021 file for your federal and Arkansas returns, you will not be able to open the file until you have first installed the Arkansas software.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies