Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

aparnams

I have taken security deposit from my tenant in India due to which balance is more than $10,000. Have to give it back when lease ends. So not my money. Do I need FBAR?

I have taken security deposit from my tenant in India as part of rental agreement. The money has to be returned in full at the end of the lease. But the balance in my account has crossed $10,000 due to the security deposit. Do I need to file FBAR even though it is not an income and does not belong to me as I have to give it back at the end of the lease? I understand that I have to file tax for the rental income and any interest. But do I need FBAR as the balance is more that $10,000 but it does not belong to me and is not treated like an income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have taken security deposit from my tenant in India due to which balance is more than $10,000. Have to give it back when lease ends. So not my money. Do I need FBAR?

Yes, the FBAR is required.  Even though the funds are being returned to your tenant, the money is still sitting in your bank account.  If a foreign bank account exceeds $10,000 at any time during the tax year, then FBAR reporting is triggered.

TurboTax does not support FBAR reporting.  This can only be filed through the government's BSA E-filing System Website.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Yes, the FBAR is required.  Even though the funds are being returned to your tenant, the money is still sitting in your bank account.  If a foreign bank account exceeds $10,000 at any time during the tax year, then FBAR reporting is triggered.

TurboTax does not support FBAR reporting.  This can only be filed through the government's BSA E-filing System Website.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies