Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have spent over 10 hours on turbotax trying to report by reciprocal income from MD into my PA state return

Your system does not let me pay taxes in PA for MD income. We always pay MD income taxes in PA since we are residents of PA. I cant even add the info from the MD W2 as an addition to the PA state taxes. Need help with this. I have wasted enough time on this. There was a work around for this last year. But not there now. If we go by your program we owe PA no income tax, which is absolutely incorrect. I was told today to delete the PA tax info, which I did and reentered everything today, but still no way to add the MD income. I also entered this info once before and there was a computer problem. I need to know how to make this happen so I can file my income taxes. If it cant be done I will have to print out all the forms I need, which I cant tell from your site because it wont give me that until I pay and file. And why pay for something I have to do myself. If I didnt notice the problem and just went by what your program said, I would be in trouble with PA. Please help

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
TomK2023
Expert Alumni

I have spent over 10 hours on turbotax trying to report by reciprocal income from MD into my PA state return

In most cases, if you live in state that has income tax, you will get a credit on your tax return for the state you live in for part or all of the tax that you pay to the other state. 

Once you've determined that you need to file a nonresident state return, the first thing you want to do is make sure you've filled out the Personal Info section correctly:

1. With your return open, select My Info in the menu.
  2. On the Personal info summary screen, scroll down to Other State Income, and select Edit.
  3. At the Did you make money in any other states? question, answer Yes and make sure your nonresident state(s) are selected from the drop-down.  Maryland.  Please see image below.
  4. Select Continue to return to your Personal info summary.

After you finish your federal return, you'll automatically move to the State tab, where you'll see your nonresident state(s) listed in addition to your resident state.

Tip: To ensure accurate calculations, always complete the nonresident return first if filing in multiple states because your resident state might give you a credit for any taxes paid in that situation.

TurboTax FAQ: How do I file a nonresident state return?

Going forward, you can avoid having to file two state tax returns in the future by asking your former employer to only withhold taxes from your resident state of Pennsylvania.

As a worker in a reciprocal state, you can fill out that state's exemption form and give it to your employer if you don't want them to withhold taxes for your work state (Maryland).  If you do this, make sure your employer also withholds taxes for your resident stater (Pennsylvania), otherwise you may get hit with underpayment penalties come tax time.

Be sure to fill out Maryland Form UMW507, and give it to your employer asap.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies