Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have requested ITIN. I need to pay the taxes due on 15th April. Is it possible to pay even tough I do not have ITIN or should I wait until I have received it?

Hello!

I would have a question regarding paying my taxes. I have requested ITIN from IRS and also filed my 2023 tax return by mail to IRS to ITIN Operation, Austin Texas. Because I live abroad and do not have US citizenship, I need the ITIN for the taxes. However, the process can take up to 7 weeks  before I can acquire the ITIN number, and I need to pay the taxes due on 15th April. Is it still possible to pay even tough I do not have ITIN number or should I wait until I have received the ITIN? I do not want any penalties.

If I pay without the ITIN, what should I write to the bank transfer?

Thank you so much in advance!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JamesG1
Expert Alumni

I have requested ITIN. I need to pay the taxes due on 15th April. Is it possible to pay even tough I do not have ITIN or should I wait until I have received it?

You will make payment in the amount of the balance due on the IRS form 1040 that was submitted with the W-7 application.

Consider creating an IRS Online Account to allow you to view you account and make payments from your bank account or by debit/credit card

You may also follow the progress of the tax return and/or W-7 application by calling the IRS toll-free at 800-829-1040 if you are in the United States or 267-941-1000 (not a toll-free number) if you are outside the United States. This service allows you to check the status of your application seven weeks after submitting Form W-7 and your tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies