Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bcdc79

I have no clue what number to put on form 2210. Since I increased my tax with holding do I need this anyway?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

I have no clue what number to put on form 2210. Since I increased my tax with holding do I need this anyway?

Form 2210 has many numbers, which one do you refer to?

However, if you don't have an underpayment penalty that you want to claim exemption from, you don't have to add a 2210.

So what are you trying to do?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
bcdc79

Line D.  I had a 35.00 penalty.  There are only 3 boxes for that line when there should be 4

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Line D in what Part? The only Line D that I see is a checkbox (in Part II).

bcdc79

On form 2210 if you scroll dpwn to part II it shows you 4 dates to pay an equal amount each quarter.  But the form itself only has 3 spots to put numbers in.  It has to be a glitch in the program but how can I get around it?  If turbo didn't already deduct money out of my checking I would say screw it and go somewhere else,

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Check the option to let the IRS bill you for the penalty, or tell TurboTax to include it and file your return.   Or you can request a waiver if you qualify.   But you don't have to enter those fields, unless you are annualizing your income in order to try to reduce it (it doesn't always work).   To do this (annualizing), you need to know your income and expenses for these periods:

- January 1 through March 31

- January 1 through May 31

- January 1 through August 31

This method benefits you most when you received most of your income later in the year.   You can say NO to using the annualized income method.   Search for penalty, use the Jump to link, and you go back through the Form 2210 questions and options.   

If you say no to annualizing your income and No to applying for waivers, the next screen says Let the IRS bill me.   You can receive a bill or just add the already calculated penalty to your return and pay it with the return.   Click through the screens until you come to this screen:    See Underpayment penalties - IrS

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies