Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dbkhanh

I have gambling winnings reported to me on a K-1. TT populated the amount on Schedule 1 in both 8b and 8z, giving a line 9 total of 2x the amount. How do I fix this?

The "Other Income" worksheet is correct, with the amount only populated in lines b3 and b4, nothing in the z section, and the correct amount in the "Total" line (specifically with the instruction "Enter here and on Schedule 1, line 9"). Yet the amount on Schedule 1, line 9 is 2x that amount. Overrides in form mode are grayed out (I'm using Desktop H&B).
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

I have gambling winnings reported to me on a K-1. TT populated the amount on Schedule 1 in both 8b and 8z, giving a line 9 total of 2x the amount. How do I fix this?

Was a w-2G also entered?   Where did you enter the gambling winnings from the K-1 at, or where were they listed on the K-1?    Don't override anything; it is not necessary and it voids the accuracy guarantee.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dbkhanh

I don't have a W-2G, only a K-1 from the partnership we created to receive and distribute the winnings (it was an office lottery pool). Possibly a W-2G was issued to the partnership, but I don't have access to that. I entered the K-1 into TT with the amount in line 11, code K (for gambling winnings), and a slightly reduced amount in line 19, code A (for cash distribution). There were also withholding amounts (federal, state, city) in box 20, but that's a separate issue. My main issue is that the amount in line 11 here somehow got propagated to Schedule 1 in both line 8b (correctly) and line 8z (incorrectly), resulting in a line 9 total of twice the amount.

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

The entry to "Other Income" would come from an entry in the Less Common Income section of TurboTax, in particular Prizes, Awards, and Gambling Winnings. I suggest you look through that section to see if the duplicate entry is there and if so delete it.

dbkhanh

I checked that section and there's nothing there. Seems to be an actual bug, which I'm very surprised about because I've used TT for years and have seen plenty of bugs in the state forms but never federal. My current workaround is removing the K1 and using that section to report the winnings, which gets me the correct tax numbers, just without the K1/partnership info in the submitted forms. AFAIK that should satisfy the IRS but I'm not sure if some automated system will complain I didn't mention the K1.

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You should be fine as the gambling winnings should appear as "other income", which wouldn't be reflected on page 2 of schedule E where the K-1 income would normally appear. In other words, the way it appears on your tax return is the way it would appear even if the entry was processed off of your Ki-1 entry.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies