turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

christymain772
Returning Member

I have filled the same way for last 6 years and my my son my only dependant for last 18 years should i worry at 6000.00 yr

Just ALWAYS  worry I want get my refund  but I always do need audit  meter
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have filled the same way for last 6 years and my my son my only dependant for last 18 years should i worry at 6000.00 yr

Let me help.

The majority of IRS audits (vast majority) and through a matching program.

1099's, W-2's K-1's etc to tax return.  So number one rule reports all documents associated with your return.

Next main catagory is Earned Income Tax compliance, as there is some abuse in this area due to being a refundable credit.

Then after that it is many things that can impact it, a loss from a business, contributions high compared to income, relationship of income to items on the return.

The Audit Meter is an educated guess of what IRS may look at.  

It is good to be cautious and you always want to be able to support whatever is on the return.

Note: I have no way of seeing your return (nor should I) so I cannot tell you if your audit risk is high or low.  However if you have a W-2 and a child you claim and not much else, you have a pretty low audit risk. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Let me help.

The majority of IRS audits (vast majority) and through a matching program.

1099's, W-2's K-1's etc to tax return.  So number one rule reports all documents associated with your return.

Next main catagory is Earned Income Tax compliance, as there is some abuse in this area due to being a refundable credit.

Then after that it is many things that can impact it, a loss from a business, contributions high compared to income, relationship of income to items on the return.

The Audit Meter is an educated guess of what IRS may look at.  

It is good to be cautious and you always want to be able to support whatever is on the return.

Note: I have no way of seeing your return (nor should I) so I cannot tell you if your audit risk is high or low.  However if you have a W-2 and a child you claim and not much else, you have a pretty low audit risk. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies