Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have filed an extension for 2023, but need to pay the tax liability shown on the extension. What form do I use to accompany the payment.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I have filed an extension for 2023, but need to pay the tax liability shown on the extension. What form do I use to accompany the payment.

1040-v  if you mail be sure to use a tracking method so you know its gets to its destination. make sure its postmarked on or before 4/15. Postage meter dates are not respected by the IRS and dropping in a mailbox may result in a postmark later than 4/15. 

or to skip the mailing use the iRS online portal.

https://www.irs.gov/payments 

Thanks Mike.  I think you are correct about the 1040V.  Did not see that I could print that from Turbo Tax.  I also thought this should have been part of the procedure in TT when filing an extension electronically.  I did not want to pay thru the IRS portal, but wanted to send a check.  What I ended up doing was sending in a copy of the extension along with the check, and marked on the check the tax year and social security number.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies