turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have F-1 visa and I'm filing my tax return using Turbo Tax. Everything has been accepted so far. But should I do them with 1042 instead of using Turbo Tax?

Hello, I'm from South Korea and came to Utah with F-1 visa in April 2014. And, I never have changed my visa info for more than 5 years. I'm still a university student and the college gave us 1098-T form this year for the first time. So, I think I don't have to file tax with 1040NR, but I want to make sure about them. What should I do with my statue? Is it still ok to file my tax with Turbo Tax like other people? I can't find any stage that I provide my visa info while doing Turbo Tax. Where to enter the visa thing in? If I can file my tax with Turbo Tax in the same way, I want to know my Utah Residency Status. Am I Full-Year Resident, Nonresident, or Part-Year Resident? I stayed and worked in Utah more than 9 months in 2019. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

I have F-1 visa and I'm filing my tax return using Turbo Tax. Everything has been accepted so far. But should I do them with 1042 instead of using Turbo Tax?

You can use TurboTax this year.  You are a US tax resident for 2019 as you have been on a an F-1 visa for 5 years as of December 31, 2018.  So your US tax residency start date is January 1, 2019. 

No visa information is required.  The 1040 does not ask about a visa as it is for US citizens and US residents.. You also do not need to file Form 8843 now that you are a US resident.

You need to file a Utah resident return as you maintained a place of  abode in Utah and spent 183 days or more in the state during the year. 

According to the State of Utah:

You maintain a place of abode in Utah and spent 183 or more days of the taxable year in Utah

Utah residency is defined on the following page, Test 3 (second from the bottom in the list)

Utah State Tax Commission Residency and Domicile

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

You can use TurboTax this year.  You are a US tax resident for 2019 as you have been on a an F-1 visa for 5 years as of December 31, 2018.  So your US tax residency start date is January 1, 2019. 

No visa information is required.  The 1040 does not ask about a visa as it is for US citizens and US residents.. You also do not need to file Form 8843 now that you are a US resident.

You need to file a Utah resident return as you maintained a place of  abode in Utah and spent 183 days or more in the state during the year. 

According to the State of Utah:

You maintain a place of abode in Utah and spent 183 or more days of the taxable year in Utah

Utah residency is defined on the following page, Test 3 (second from the bottom in the list)

Utah State Tax Commission Residency and Domicile

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies