Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

BB2

I have a W2 (from a regular full time job) and a 1099-Misc (from outside consulting work). Do I report the 1099-Misc as self-employment income or Other Common Income?

I don't know if having a W2 and being considered "Self-employed" are mutually exclusive in the context of filing a 1099-Misc.  There seems to be two categories for 1099-Misc: Self-employment Income and Other Common Income.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have a W2 (from a regular full time job) and a 1099-Misc (from outside consulting work). Do I report the 1099-Misc as self-employment income or Other Common Income?

It depends on what box is completed on your 1099MISC. If box 7 is completed you would be considered self-employed and should report it as self-employment income.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

It depends on what box is completed on your 1099MISC. If box 7 is completed you would be considered self-employed and should report it as self-employment income.

BB2

Thanks so much Sheryl!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies