FoogleGu

I have a W-2. Spouse is self-employed. Can I adjust my W-4 to not pay quarterly tax?

Hello, all. My spouse and I work for two different companies. We will be filing married jointly come tax time next year. As of yesterday, she is now working for a company as an independent contractor. Because of this, I am aware she will need to make quarterly estimated tax payments if she expects to owe at least $1000 in taxes come tax time.

My question is, because we will be married filing jointly, can I adjust my W-4 at my job to account for the fact that she won't have taxes taken out so that she would not have to pay quarterly estimated tax payments? Or does she need to make the quarterly payments regardless? I would just like to avoid paying the quarterly payments if possible to avoid the hassle.

Thank you!

Bsch4477

You can withhold tax from your job in an amount to cover her tax liability since you are filing jointly. 

Yes, as long as you file a joint tax return at the end of the year.