Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

espn

I have a Sate 529 plan for my non-dependent daughter for 2017. I expect not to pay state tax on my contributions. How do I do that if I do not enter it in my return?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
LindaA
Expert Alumni

I have a Sate 529 plan for my non-dependent daughter for 2017. I expect not to pay state tax on my contributions. How do I do that if I do not enter it in my return?

You'll be able to enter the contribution to your daughter's 529 plan during the state tax interview if your state offers a tax break. Not all states offer a deduction; for example, Maine no longer gives a deduction for 529 plan contributions. Also, the state may not require that the contribution is for a person who is claimed as a dependent on your tax return, so a contribution for your nondependent daughter may still qualify. TurboTax will ask questions to see if you meet the requirements or not.

The exact screen(s) where you'll enter this information depends on your state. The screenshots below provide examples of the first screens for 529 contributions for Indiana (TurboTax Online) and Massachusetts (TurboTax desktop software).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies