Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a 14 year old dependent who worked part time during the summer. Where do I enter her w-2 on my tax return?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
NancyG

I have a 14 year old dependent who worked part time during the summer. Where do I enter her w-2 on my tax return?

You do not enter her W-2 on your tax return.

However, she may have to file her own return.

All taxpayers who are claimed as a dependent on someone's tax return are subject to different IRS filing requirements, regardless of whether they are children or adults. Since a dependent is unable to claim their own exemption, a tax return is necessary when their earned income is more than the standard deduction for a single taxpayer, which in 2016 is $6,300. However, the threshold decreases to more than $1,050 when the dependent's income is unearned, such as from dividends and interest. Additionally, the threshold decreases to $400 for self-employment income.

Note - There are years when you are not required to file a tax return but may want to. If you have federal and states taxes withheld from your paycheck, the only way you can receive a refund is to file a tax return. 

edited 01/25/17
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies