Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

amwaldrip

I have a 1099-patr form. Box 1 is $0. Box 5 - Redeemed nonqualified notices is $243.85. I entered as such but keep getting a error that box 5 can't be less than box 1.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I have a 1099-patr form. Box 1 is $0. Box 5 - Redeemed nonqualified notices is $243.85. I entered as such but keep getting a error that box 5 can't be less than box 1.

According to the IRS, income on Form 1099-PATR Box 5 should be reported as ordinary income.  HOWEVER,

if the dividends in Box 1 of your 1099-PATR came from property purchased for personal use (or capital assets or depreciable property used in your business), you don't have to enter your 1099-PATR. Keep it with your tax records, though.

Most often, your Form 1099-PATR reports dividends associated with a farm or cooperative (co-op). You can also receive a 1099-PATR for other reasons (for example, a land bank mortgage or backup withholdings made on your behalf).

If your 1099-PATR isn't for farm or co-op dividends, it gets entered as general business income:

1. Open (continue) your return in TurboTax.
  2. Inside TurboTax, search for business (schedule c) (use this exact phrase) and then select the Jump to link in the search results.
  3. When asked Did you have any self-employment income or expenses? answer Yes.
    1. If you'd previously entered self-employed income, you'll come to Your 2020 self-employed work summary. Select Add another line of work to enter information about your farm.
  4. Follow the instructions to enter info about your farm.
  5. When you get to Let's enter the income for your (type of farming) work, select Other self-employed income and Continue.
  6. Enter the information from your 1099-PATR on the Tell us about other self-employed income screen.

Here is an article that explains Form 1099-PATR.

ddrjfe405862
Returning Member

This is an informative answer, but it should be more available to the average user.  Took me too long to find.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies