I have a 1099 misc but I am not self employed. I have no deductions for this. Why can't I just file it with my incom

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a 1099 misc but I am not self employed. I have no deductions for this. Why can't I just file it with my incom

3 Replies

What box is the income located in ?

If your Form 1099-MISC shows an amount in Box 7 for nonemployee compensation and it’s because you did consulting work or other services for someone, based on IRS regulation, you DO now "have a business!" and the IRS considers you as self-employed.  You’re in the business of consulting, and you have to file Schedule C to report that 1099-MISC income. The Schedule C is located in TurboTax Self-Employed version. This is a requirement, not an option!

The good thing about filing Schedule C is the ability to apply any expenses you incurred while performing those services.

If you have received a 1099-MISC and entered it into TurboTax then it will prompt you to do the TurboTax Self-Employed version.  If payment for services you provided is listed in box 7 of Form 1099-MISC, the payer is treating you as a self-employed worker, also referred to as an independent contractor.

• You don't necessarily have to have a business for payments for your services to be reported on Form 1099-MISC. You may simply perform services as a non-employee.
  • The payer has determined that an employer-employee relationship doesn't exist in your case.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4770969

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4771022

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings