Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

repr7-62

I have a 1099-k that was issued to me, but i am not self-employed/run a business. I just sold some old stuff through ebay. How do i report this?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT
Expert Alumni

I have a 1099-k that was issued to me, but i am not self-employed/run a business. I just sold some old stuff through ebay. How do i report this?

If this 1099-K is for selling your old personal use property on E-bay, you do not need to report it on your tax return. You just keep that form 1099-K in your tax records for at least three years.

The only exception is when you sold a personal use property which is a collectible at a price higher than what you paid for it. If this is the case, please add a comment and I will guide you further. 

If you sold stuff at a price lower than what you paid for it, there is nothing to report.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

6 Replies
MinhT
Expert Alumni

If this 1099-K is for selling your old personal use property on E-bay, you do not need to report it on your tax return. You just keep that form 1099-K in your tax records for at least three years.

The only exception is when you sold a personal use property which is a collectible at a price higher than what you paid for it. If this is the case, please add a comment and I will guide you further. 

If you sold stuff at a price lower than what you paid for it, there is nothing to report.

repr7-62

Some of the items I sold were for more than I paid. Most of the items I bought years ago and don't know what I actually paid for them. I would have to say that I made some profit on them, but I wasn't actively buying and selling for profit.
MinhT
Expert Alumni

For those items that you so;d at a profit, you have to report the profit which is taxed as capital gains. Instead of listing individual items, you can make a list that you keep and enter the total in TurboTax.
To report the items sold at a profit, follow these steps:
• In TurboTax, open your tax return
• Click on Federal in the left-hand column, then on Wages & Income on top of the screen
• Scroll down to All Income, locate the section Investment Income and click on Show more
• Click Start next to Interest on Stock, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other
        . Answer Yes on the next screen, then on the following screen choose Personal Items (see screenshot added to the main answer).
        . Follow the interview to enter your information.
repr7-62

ok, thanks for the help
rich1854

Some of the items sold on Ebay were collectibles sold for above purchase price.

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

As @MinhT stated, report the profitable sale of collectibles as the sale of an investment. If you had owned them for 1 year or more, the profit (gain) will be taxed at a lower rate than your 'ordinary' income.

To report the items sold at a profit, follow these steps: 
• In TurboTax, open your tax return 
• Click on Federal in the left-hand column, then on Wages & Income on top of the screen 
• Scroll down to All Income, locate the section Investment Income and click on Show more 
• Click Start next to Interest on Stock, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other 
        . Answer Yes on the next screen, then on the following screen choose Personal Items (see screenshot added to the main answer). 
        . Follow the interview to enter your information. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies