franklfreeman

I have 1099 misc tax. It is non earned. turbo tax is calculating the ss tax on it.

TomD8

In what Box of the 1099-MISC is the income reported?  What was it for?
**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.**

franklfreeman

retirement from State Farm
Rainman12

Which BOX on the 1099-MISC was used to report the income? Retirement income normally comes on a 1099-R, not a 1099-MISC. Most commonly used 1099-MISC boxes are Box 3 (Other Income) and Box 7 (Nonemployee compensation).
JeffG

Your question is very common - sorry for the confusion.

Information from Form 1099-MISC can be entered in 2 different locations, depending on your situation:

Self-Employment - when the income relates to your normal job or something you do regularly. This income will end up on a Sch C, subject self-employment tax and expenses can be entered to reduce the taxable amount.

Other Common Income - something you did only once - and not related to your normal job and don't plan on doing this type of work in the future.

If the second example sounds like you - enter this information in Turbo Tax as follows: Go to Federal Taxes - then click on Wages & Income, next look for the section: Other Common Income, then click on Start to the right of "Form 1099-MISC."

I hope this helped you. Thank you for using Turbo Tax.