Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My daughter was married in Aug 2018, but her spouse claimed married but filing separately so I could claim her as dependent. I entered this information, but the IRS rej

but the IRS rejected the return with the reason that she cannot be shown as spouse on another return.   Why is this being rejected when turbotax allowed her as dependent knowing she was married but not filing joint return?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

My daughter was married in Aug 2018, but her spouse claimed married but filing separately so I could claim her as dependent. I entered this information, but the IRS rej

I had my daughter send me their TurboTax created Tax return, and it does have selected that my daughter can be claimed by someone else as a dependent, and it is also Married filing separately.  So no issues on their return, so why was mine rejected by IRS when all is correct?
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

The son-in-law needs to select that someone else can claim his spouse. This is asked in the interview questions in the "My Info" section. 

TurboTax allowed it because you told Turbotax that she and her husband was allowing you.  to claim her. 

The son-in-law needs to amend his return. Have him pay close attention to the part where the program asks if someone else can claim the spouse. 

He will need to mail his 1040X and you will need to mail your return claiming your daughter.  

I had my daughter send me their TurboTax created Tax return, and it does have selected that my daughter can be claimed by someone else as a dependent, and it is also Married filing separately.  So no issues on the return, so why was mine rejected?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies