k1a2r3e4

I get a 1099 from my employer so the questions asks if I was required to send a 1099 does this mean that I got this from my employer?

Coleen3

No, it is asking if you paid someone to do work and are you required to send that person a 1099-Misc. Only a business (including a Schedule C) would be required to send one, not an individual.

Form 1099-MISC, Miscellaneous Income

File this form for each person you paid during the year:

1. at least $10 in royalties or broker payments in lieu of dividends or tax-exempt interest;
  2. at least $600 in:
  • rents;
  • services performed by someone who is not your employee;
  • prizes and awards;
  • other income payments;
  • medical and health care payments;
  • crop insurance proceeds;
  • cash payments for fish (or other aquatic life) you purchase from anyone engaged in the trade or business of catching fish;
  • generally, the cash paid from a notional principal contract to an individual, partnership, or estate;
  • payments to an attorney; or
  • any fishing boat proceeds,

In addition, use this form to report that you made direct sales of at least $5,000 of consumer products to a buyer for resale anywhere other than a permanent retail establishment.

Coleen3

Form 1099-MISC, Miscellaneous Income

2. at least $600 in:
  • rents;
  • prizes and awards;
  • other income payments;
  • medical and health care payments;
  • crop insurance proceeds;
  • payments to an attorney; or
  • any fishing boat proceeds,

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing