turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

k1a2r3e4

I get a 1099 from my employer so the questions asks if I was required to send a 1099 does this mean that I got this from my employer?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

I get a 1099 from my employer so the questions asks if I was required to send a 1099 does this mean that I got this from my employer?

No, it is asking if you paid someone to do work and are you required to send that person a 1099-Misc. Only a business (including a Schedule C) would be required to send one, not an individual.

Form 1099-MISC, Miscellaneous Income

File this form for each person you paid during the year:

1. at least $10 in royalties or broker payments in lieu of dividends or tax-exempt interest;
  2. at least $600 in:
  • rents;
  • services performed by someone who is not your employee;
  • prizes and awards;
  • other income payments;
  • medical and health care payments;
  • crop insurance proceeds;
  • cash payments for fish (or other aquatic life) you purchase from anyone engaged in the trade or business of catching fish;
  • generally, the cash paid from a notional principal contract to an individual, partnership, or estate;
  • payments to an attorney; or
  • any fishing boat proceeds,

In addition, use this form to report that you made direct sales of at least $5,000 of consumer products to a buyer for resale anywhere other than a permanent retail establishment.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

No, it is asking if you paid someone to do work and are you required to send that person a 1099-Misc. Only a business (including a Schedule C) would be required to send one, not an individual.

Form 1099-MISC, Miscellaneous Income

File this form for each person you paid during the year:

1. at least $10 in royalties or broker payments in lieu of dividends or tax-exempt interest;
  2. at least $600 in:
  • rents;
  • services performed by someone who is not your employee;
  • prizes and awards;
  • other income payments;
  • medical and health care payments;
  • crop insurance proceeds;
  • cash payments for fish (or other aquatic life) you purchase from anyone engaged in the trade or business of catching fish;
  • generally, the cash paid from a notional principal contract to an individual, partnership, or estate;
  • payments to an attorney; or
  • any fishing boat proceeds,

In addition, use this form to report that you made direct sales of at least $5,000 of consumer products to a buyer for resale anywhere other than a permanent retail establishment.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing

Related Content

Manage cookies