turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I found out that I was overpaying Oregon state tax for years. When I enter the OR refunds in Turbo Tax for 2017-2019, my fed tax increases. Why?

I don't live in OR, but I was paying tax like a resident. When I found out, I had him refile and got refunds. Turbo tax asks about state and local tax refunds, so I entered the info. But my fed taxes go up when I do. I don't understand?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I found out that I was overpaying Oregon state tax for years. When I enter the OR refunds in Turbo Tax for 2017-2019, my fed tax increases. Why?

did you itemize deductions in 2017 and include the OR taxes. then it's taxable because you got a recovery of an amount you took a tax deduction for.  if you took the standard deduction you do not report it in Turbotax. 2018 and 2019 are the same? however, it becomes more complicated if your schedule A tax deduction was the maximum of $10,000 ($5,000 if MFS) and your actual deductible taxes exceeded that amount.

Thank you very much for the information.  It helped me know what to look for. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies