Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I found a bug on the "Reduction in Foreign Taxes" Screen that stops me from filing. How can I proceed?

It says clearly: "Make sure you thoroughly understand how to determine exclusions... before you make any entries here".  However, in the review phase, it forced me to enter a value on "Foreign Tax Credit Computation Worksheet" field 12a 1 and 2 (which is the answer to the above screen).  

If I enter in ANYTHING, my taxes multiply by 10X.  This field is for reduction in my foreign taxes, which I don't have, so I don't even need this portion.  However, without it, Turbo tax refuses to let me file.

Bear in mind, that this is a stupid WORKSHEET made by Intuit themselves, NOT the actual Form 1116 that we have to send to the IRS.

Intuit is refusing to let me file because their own worksheet has a bug from their own screen's input.

I need Intuit devs to go in and fix this stupid bug to let me efile ASAP, but there is literally no way I can get into contact with a human being, living overseas as I am.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
pk
Level 15
Level 15

I found a bug on the "Reduction in Foreign Taxes" Screen that stops me from filing. How can I proceed?

@kitsuneninetails , don't want to add to your frustrations , but can you answer a few questions and also describe what you are trying to do -- yes ?

(a) are you US person ( citizen/ GreenCard / Resident for Tax purposes )?

(b) If you are not a citizen, which country are you a citizen of ?

(c) What is the type of the foreign income (wages, self-employment, dividend, interest, sale of assets  etc. etc. ) and in which country ?

(d) Are you living in the USA or abroad  ( trying to determine your tax home )?

(e) If the foreign taxes are on dividend, interest earnings , is it larger than the  safe harbor amount ( US$300 per filer )?

Please answer  the questions and describe the issue you are seeing --please.  And I will circle back

pk

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies