Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I filed my extension on Turbotax. Do I have to pay for Turbotax Online before the 4/15 deadline if I want to use it to file later?

I noticed that when I filed an extension, Turbo Tax Online prompted me to pay for their software. I was able to "skip" payment but was wondering if I need to pay for it before the 4/15 deadline if I want to use Turbotax Online to calculate and file my taxes by the Oct. 15 extension deadline?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

I filed my extension on Turbotax. Do I have to pay for Turbotax Online before the 4/15 deadline if I want to use it to file later?

Filing a tax extension with TurboTax is free.

You can get an extension:

You must have a TurboTax account, or create one.

1. Click on the website  Free federal tax extension is now available 
  2. Select [File Now]
  3. Log into your account
  4. Your screen will show Get started on your federal extension
  5. Follow the interview

Also see   States That Accept Federal Extension

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you but your response doesn't address my question. 

"I was wondering if I need to pay for it (pay for Turbo Tax online) before the 4/15 deadline if I want to use Turbotax Online to calculate and file my taxes by the Oct. 15 extension deadline?"

and to clarify why i'm asking. I heard that if we don't pay for Turbotax Online by a certain date, we'll get locked out of using it and would have to use some offline version. 

you won't be able to file after Oct 15 the six-month extension deadline.

you heard correctly. Support should give you the desktop program to continue if you did already pay.

Your computer must be compatible.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies