Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I filed my 2023 return last month & now need to file an injured spouse form 8379. I have it filled out within TurboTax. Can I submit this electronically through TurboTax?

Hi all! I filed my return (married filing jointly) and now need to file an injured spouse form 8379. I've got it all prepared in TurboTax so not looking for directions to do so. What I am unsure of is the process to file JUST this form electronically through TurboTax since I've already filed our taxes. I read that it is not an amended tax return, but the IRS just wants this form with W2s etc attached. Can I do this electronically or must I print it and mail it? Hoping I can do it electronically. Appreciate everyone's help & guidance!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I filed my 2023 return last month & now need to file an injured spouse form 8379. I have it filled out within TurboTax. Can I submit this electronically through TurboTax?

see the 8379 filing instructions. since it's not being filed with your return i can take 2 or more months to process. There can also be issues if theloint return refund was already issued.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8379.pdf 

JulieS
Expert Alumni

No, you can't file Form 8379 electronically by itself. It can be e-filed when included as part of an original or amended tax return. 

Since you need to file Form 8379 by itself, you need to print it and mail it in with your W-2 forms. Follow this link to get the mailing address for your state. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you Mike. this was helpful to know what to attach and NOT attach. I would have sent my 1040 also, looks like that shouldn't be done. 

Thanks, Julie. Will get it printed and sent off. Looks like it takes about 8 weeks. This has been a learning experience, thank you for the guidance! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies