leppertnick

I filed injured spouse last year because my wife owes student loans id like to get my tax return sooner should I file my return married filing separately this year?

LindaA

While filing as an Injured Spouse may delay your refund, there are other factors to consider before using the Married Filing Separately (MFS) filing status. If you file separately, you may lose out on some tax benefits, including the Earned Income Credit (EIC). Also, if one of you itemizes deductions on Schedule A, the other person will also need to itemize deductions on their MFS return (i.e, that person won't be able to take the standard deduction). Please see the discussion about filing jointly versus filing separately in the FAQ below to help you decide which filing status is better for you this year. 

Is it better for a married couple to file jointly or separately? https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288477