Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

joberlu11

I filed for an extension but didn't end up filing past the 4/15 deadline. When should I expect to receive a refund on the amount I prepaid?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

I filed for an extension but didn't end up filing past the 4/15 deadline. When should I expect to receive a refund on the amount I prepaid?

You don't get a separate refund for the amount you paid with the extension. The amount that you paid with the extension should be included on your tax return, on Schedule 5 line 71. If you prepared the extension with TurboTax, in the same file that you used to file your tax return, TurboTax would have done this automatically. Otherwise you had to enter the payment. The payments on Schedule 5 are included in the total on Form 1040 line 17. Since the amount you paid with the extension is included as a payment on your tax return, it is included in your overall refund.

If the payment you made with the extension is not on Schedule 5 line 71, wait until your return has been processed and you have received your refund (if you are getting a refund). The IRS might notice the payment that you omitted and automatically refund it to you or add it to the refund from your tax return. If they don't do that, you will have to file an amended return (Form 1040X) to add the payment that was omitted from your original tax return.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You don't get a separate refund for the amount you paid with the extension. The amount that you paid with the extension should be included on your tax return, on Schedule 5 line 71. If you prepared the extension with TurboTax, in the same file that you used to file your tax return, TurboTax would have done this automatically. Otherwise you had to enter the payment. The payments on Schedule 5 are included in the total on Form 1040 line 17. Since the amount you paid with the extension is included as a payment on your tax return, it is included in your overall refund.

If the payment you made with the extension is not on Schedule 5 line 71, wait until your return has been processed and you have received your refund (if you are getting a refund). The IRS might notice the payment that you omitted and automatically refund it to you or add it to the refund from your tax return. If they don't do that, you will have to file an amended return (Form 1040X) to add the payment that was omitted from your original tax return.

joberlu11

Thank you for your thorough answer. The amount I prepaid with the extension is filled out on line 71 as well as the Schedule 5 form. However, I just received my federal refund without that amount included. Would the next step be to submit a Form 1040X? They wouldn't be supplementing with a 2nd refund, correct?
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Is the refund that you received equal to the amount on Form 1040 line 20a of your tax return? If so, then the payment IS included. You don't necessarily get the whole payment back. It's combined with your withholding and any estimated tax payments that you made, and the total of all your payments (on line 18) is applied to your total tax (on line 15). Your refund is the net of line 18 minus line 15.

Presumably you made the payment with the extension because you thought you owed more tax than you had already paid. So it makes sense that you would not get the entire payment back.

If the refund that you received is less than the amount on line 20a, the IRS will send you a letter explaining why they reduced your refund. The letter might not come until a week or two after you got the refund. Don't do anything until you get the IRS letter. You'll decide what to do, if anything, after you see what the letter says.
joberlu11

Understood, appreciate your help!!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies