Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I filed extention. do my employed dependants need to also file an extention

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

Your dependents should file for an extension if they are not ready to file by April 18th, midnight. Please note, however, that the extension is for filing, not for paying. If you or your dependents owe any tax, it must be paid by April 18th, midnight your local time. 

A dependent is required to file if his W-2 income is more than $6300 or his self-employment income is more than $400. If they are required to file but are not ready, file an extension. If they are not required to file but want to file just to get their withholding back, the extension is not needed. They can just file when they are ready. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

Your dependents should file for an extension if they are not ready to file by April 18th, midnight. Please note, however, that the extension is for filing, not for paying. If you or your dependents owe any tax, it must be paid by April 18th, midnight your local time. 

A dependent is required to file if his W-2 income is more than $6300 or his self-employment income is more than $400. If they are required to file but are not ready, file an extension. If they are not required to file but want to file just to get their withholding back, the extension is not needed. They can just file when they are ready. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies