I filed extention. do my employed dependants need to also file an extention

MargaretL

Your dependents should file for an extension if they are not ready to file by April 18th, midnight. Please note, however, that the extension is for filing, not for paying. If you or your dependents owe any tax, it must be paid by April 18th, midnight your local time. 

A dependent is required to file if his W-2 income is more than $6300 or his self-employment income is more than $400. If they are required to file but are not ready, file an extension. If they are not required to file but want to file just to get their withholding back, the extension is not needed. They can just file when they are ready. 

MargaretL

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing