Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

brc22434

I filed a return for my deceased mother and it only gave her $2750 standard deduction instead of the much higher deduction that is the standard deduction chart?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

I filed a return for my deceased mother and it only gave her $2750 standard deduction instead of the much higher deduction that is the standard deduction chart?

Did you indicate that she could be claimed on another person's tax return?   

• For 2020, the standard deduction amount for an individual who may be claimed as a dependent by another taxpayer cannot exceed the greater of $1,100 or the sum of $350 and the individual’s earned income (not to exceed the regular standard deduction amount).

I am sorry for your loss.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
brc22434

Thanks so much.  So normally I would have claimed my mom as a dependent because she lived with me and I provided most all of her care financially. Which is better financially, claim her as a dependent or let her file as a single who can not be claimed on my return?  I accidentally filed her return that way and she owed over $5000 in taxes.  I think if I amend it, she will owe about $2500.  It’s awaiting acceptance by e-file to IRS, I guess I cant amend it until its accepted.  I guess they will take the full amount and then refund the rest after I amend?

Where did you get that $2750 from?

There is no such standard deduction.

brc22434

I accidentally listed my Mom on her 1040 that she would be a dependent on someone else’s form, thats why they only cave a $2750 deduction,  I have to wait until the IRS accepts the return to amend it to say she is not claimed elsewhere Im guessing. 

DawnC
Expert Alumni

That is correct.  After her return is fully processed by the IRS, you can file an amendment.  If you have not paid the $5K tax bill, you can wait on that also.   If anything is owed after you file the amendment, as long as you pay it by April 15, you won't have any issues.   I doesn't sound as if you are eligible to claim her in 2020 anyway. 

Generally, you can claim your parent if they didn't have more than $4,300 in gross income (excluding nontaxable Social Security) and you provided more than half of their support in 2020. Your parent doesn't have to live with you.   If her tax bill is 5K, it would seem that she had well over $4300 of income reported.  

Do not rush to do the amendment, especially if you have not paid the tax bill yet.   Those forms as well as many others have not been finalized yet, and you don't want to have to file multiple amendments

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies