Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I e-filed my tax return and then remembered I got a divorce and changed my name on my social security card but filed using my married name. Will the IRS accept my refund? If not what do I do to change

What is the process I need to do to change my mistake
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I e-filed my tax return and then remembered I got a divorce and changed my name on my social security card but filed using my married name. Will the IRS accept my refund? If not what do I do to change

If the IRS rejects your e-filing, you may go into your return and correct your name (My Info, on the Personal Information Summary page, click the blue Edit link next to your name) before re-submitting your return to the IRS.

If the IRS accepts your e-filing, your refund will come in your former name.  Due to the government shutdown, the Social Security Administration is behind on processing some information, so it could go through in your former name, depending on when you submitted the change.

If your refund comes in your former name, and you get a check, you may need to send it back to the IRS for reissuance.  You can call the IRS 1-800-829-1040 7 am - 7 pm your local time for assistance if this is needed.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If the IRS rejects your e-filing, you may go into your return and correct your name (My Info, on the Personal Information Summary page, click the blue Edit link next to your name) before re-submitting your return to the IRS.

If the IRS accepts your e-filing, your refund will come in your former name.  Due to the government shutdown, the Social Security Administration is behind on processing some information, so it could go through in your former name, depending on when you submitted the change.

If your refund comes in your former name, and you get a check, you may need to send it back to the IRS for reissuance.  You can call the IRS 1-800-829-1040 7 am - 7 pm your local time for assistance if this is needed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies